3.12.2009

Virgin Megastore closing its doors


*image from papermagazine online*

According to the article I just found-http://www.musicnewsnet.com/2009/02/virgin-megastore-times-square-announces-closing-sales.html,
Virgin megastore in Times Square will be closing by April of this year. Rising rents and a downfall in consumers who are just uninterested in cd retail, have lead to this major music promoting business into its failing.

Another case in point that music culture itself is dying out in the city...although I don't know if I'd call Virgin Megastore a huge influence on the cities music culture...selling overpriced anything is an epic fail.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I remember going there in HS and during the Broadway trip freshman year! I was finally able to find cds of 1970's bands that were not available in Walmart or whatever else. Of course, I just go on itunes now to get music... I think itunes is killing a lot of music stores. Why go and buy a cd that takes up room when you can download it all on itunes? Still sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why get charged $15 - $20 for a CD when you can buy the mp3s online for $10 or cheaper? Soon record labels themselves will be out of business when all the funds go straight to the artist instead.
    But that's just me and MC Lars talking.

    ReplyDelete

Past Posts